Van Gogh Up Close

My beauteous sister Amanda outside the Museum

The collection in Philadelphia was full of sunflowers and Japanese-inspired landscapes. I was struck by the movement in his still life paintings of pears and apples. There was a disturbingly dark hued emperor monarch towards the end that was very memorable. Highlights for my brothers included Undergrowth with Two Figures and Road Menders at Saint-Rémy


I really preferred "Van Gogh Up Close" to the last exhibition, "Rembrandt and the Face of Jesus," because it was more varied and more imaginative. The subject and the colors were the same for nearly all of Rembrandt's portraits: the head of a man painted in brown and black. The mood and the tone were in stark contrast to the gorgeous August weather outside when my father took me to see it. 


I CANNOT WAIT to see the next exhibition: Gauguin, Cézanne, Matisse: Visions of Arcadia (opening June 20th)! An earthly paradise, or arcadia, sounds just like heaven to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS