The Brewery Tour Face-Off

Well, we've got a beer-themed post today, so why not start with some beer trivia? Answers at the bottom.

1. In 1954 Robert Hawke set a world record for speed drinking when he downed 2.5 pints of beer in 11 seconds. He then went on to become the Prime Minister of what country?
2. Which country consumes the most beer per person in the world? (Hint: The top 5 are all European countries.)

_________________________________________________________________________________

For any American traveling overseas before their 21st birthday, the prospect of a lower drinking age (and relatively lax enforcement) is always hugely exciting. I know that as a young traveler, one of the first questions in my mind when I stepped off of the plane was "Where's the nearest bar?" Now that I've been to Europe a couple of times, I'd like to think that I'm more mature than that. Usually I am.

If your wondering "What's your poison?" I have no problem telling you that I prefer a tasty beer, a simple gin and tonic, or a scotch over ice in an old fashioned glass to any sugary, fruity froufrou drink. Margaritas are good on certain occasions, but typically you won't find me with a Bay Breeze or Long Island in hand. Don't get me started on how much I love wine, especially a full-bodied red or a dry chardonnay. I did study abroad in France, after all!

In my travels, I enjoy seeking out more information about my libations. I have taken tours of vineyards in Chateauneuf du Pape and visited the Liquoristerie de Provence where they distill versinthe (a type of pastis). I have listened to friends rant and rave about distillery tours in Scotland, and tried sticky sweet homemade cordial in Cornwall. This is something any study abroad student should do. That way, when your parents and other grown-ups ask whether you drank abroad, you have an answer that's more sophisticated than "F*** yeah!"

All this to say, I have taken some really awesome tours, but there are two breweries that stand out in my mind. And since this post is about breweries, I'll save the awesomeness of vineyard and distillery tours for another time. Now here we go:


The Heineken Experience in Amsterdam
  • €17 admission (€15 purchased in advance)
  • Highlights: 
    • 4D Experience
    • Record a green-screen video, email it to friends and family
    • High tech and modern feel
  • Visit the website



The Guinness Storehouse in Dublin
  • €16.50 admission (10% discount purchased online), or €13 student ticket
  • Highlights:
    • The 7th Floor Gravity Bar where they teach you how to pour a proper pint 
    • Cool History: Arthur Guinness signed a 9,000 year lease
    • Well-organized Historic Area
      • Browse advertisements and commercials by year
      • See bottles from different decades and parts of the world
  • Visit the website



In the Heineken-Guinness face-off, I'd say the winner is Guinness. It has a more historic feel, an excellent bar, and an amazing story. But you'll just have to visit and see for yourself. I hope that I can tour more breweries, and that this will all lead to a Brewery Tour Smackdown! A girl's gotta have her dreams.



For safety's sake I have to say: Everything in moderation, people! Just because you can drink doesn't mean you should go crazy with it. [Don't be this girl! Drinking can be fun, and a good way to meet and speak with the locals, but it's pretty disgraceful to spend several days in Paris without being sober. Traveling with a hangover is not fun.]



ANSWERS: 
1. Bob Hawke was the Prime Minister of Australia from 1983-91. 
2. The Czech Republic, followed (in order) by Germany, Austria, Ireland, and Estonia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS