The Porch at Schenley





One day, the Porch at Schenley just appeared. If you want to make the argument that the "one day" was my first day back on campus in seven months, be my guest, but I'm sticking to my story. 

So anyway, the Porch mysteriously appeared one day and caught me quite by surprise. I noticed it on my way to the Cathedral of Learning, when I casually glanced to my right and saw through enormous windows a chef dismantling a gigantic carcass of meat - what might once have been a cow. Well after that the Porch had my attention, and from the outside looking in through the glass exterior of this modern building I saw a pleasant little restaurant. 

The Porch at Schenley is a newcomer to Schenley Plaza but a welcome addition. The Plaza is arguably the closest thing Pitt has to a quad, and we students love to stretch out in the grass or meet friends at the cafe tables on the corner near the food kiosks. There is also a carousel and a permanent tent. Already the Porch is a popular place to spend happy hour on warm afternoons, and that it precisely what drew my friends and I there today. 



If you did not know, this semester I have been working as an intern at the University of Pittsburgh's Study Abroad Office. I adore the SAO staff and I love the work that I do - namely, advising undergraduate students and publishing a monthly newsletter to those abroad in the current term. There are four other interns who I now consider friends, and we decided to plan an "intern happy hour" to celebrate a great semester and a wonderful experience. 

We linked up around 5pm and the place was packed. From the six beers on tap I chose a Belgian white called White Lightning which was pretty decent. It was a nice way to unwind after the chaos of bomb threats (over 140 now) and finals week. I am still curious about the food - I might have to go back for the late night half price pizzas. Maybe the verdure al forno?

The Study Abroad Office crew: Moriah, Emily, Larissa, Bryan, Robyn, and yours truly

Looking forward to:

Event: Passion Pit concert at Carnegie Mellon's Carnival

Book: Booky Wook 2 by Russell Brand

Film: Alpha Dog
This movie is underrated. Rent it sometime!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS