Anglofile: Music

So, it’s been a while since I last sat down and added new music to my iTunes library, but at last the day has come. You’ll notice the anglofile heading, which is a play on the word “anglophile,” referring to a person who loves the UK or British culture; my intention is to channel my excitement for my semester abroad with the CAPA program in London in the fall into a series of blog entries. This one is about music. Unsurprisingly, I want to collect some music by British singers, songwriters, and musicians. I already have a bunch from older bands and performers: The Beatles, the Smiths, Elton John, U2, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Coldplay, Arctic Monkeys, Sting, etc. I began to search for some more modern music artists, with the hope of adding some women to the list. What I found was several female artists whose music ranges from soothing ballads to quirky, upbeat dance anthems.

Artist: Katie Melua (born in Georgia, but moved to the UK at age 8, so she’s included**) 
Favorite Song: “No Fear of Heights”

Artist: Adele [English singer-songwriter]
Favorite Song: “Set Fire to the Rain”

Artist: Duffy [Welsh singer-songwriter]
Favorite Song: “Warwick Avenue”

Artist: The Noisettes [London-based indie rock band]
Favorite Song: “Never Forget You”

Artist: The Ting Tings [English duo]
Favorite Song: “That’s Not My Name”

Artist: Lily Allen [English recording artist, glam rock and alternative]
Favorite Song: “Smile”

Artist: Laura Marling [English folk musician – only one month older than me!]
Favorite Song: “Blues Run the Game”

Artist: Corinne Bailey Rae [British singer-songwriter and guitarist from Leeds]
Favorite Song: “Is This Love (Bob Marley Cover)”

Artist: Amy Macdonald [Scottish singer-songwriter]
Favorite Song: “This is the Life"

Artist: Natasha Bedingfield [British pop singer-songwriter]
Favorite Song: “Strip Me"

Artist: Florence + the Machine [English musician]
Favorite Song: “Cosmic Love"




Artist: Amy Winehouse [English singer-songwriter]
Favorite Song: “You Know I'm No Good"







Artist: Natalia Kills [English singer-songwriter]
Favorite Song: “Mirrors (Doctor Rosen Rosen Rx Remix)"




Artist: Eliza Doolittle [English singer-songwriter]
Favorite Song: “Skinny Genes"



**[Note to Americans: "Georgia" here refers to the country between Russia and Turkey, NOT the state... come on, I know you were thinking it]

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS