This Week I'm Loving

"What's this?! A new blog post?! Whatever could this mean?!"

Drumroll, please......... I've decided to resurrect my blog from its three-month hiatus!

I am very excited to return to the blogosphere. With two months to readjust to my American lifestyle, I finally feel able to resume my beloved semi-regular posts.

"But why did you stop?"

The obvious answer would be: I stopped blogging because this was ostensibly a travel blog, and I was no longer abroad. Another acceptable answer might be: I am overwhelmed by written assignments as it is. I am a full time student (Psychology major, Comparative Political Science minor, French Language and Culture minor, Certificate in Western European Studies) and a communications intern in the Study Abroad Office - which translates to tons of reading and writing for school, as well as publishing a monthly newsletter for Pitt students abroad. Throwing a blog into the mix seemed too daunting.

"That's understandable. So what made you change your mind?"

Really, this is what I am passionate about - and who says that you need to leave home to travel? I love to try new things, which in a way makes me a tourist even in my home state. Furthermore, blogging does not have to be a huge commitment. What I can commit to is this: Every Monday I'll give you a snapshot of what's inspiring me and what my week looks like, and maybe later in the week I can follow up with a more in-depth post about one of the restaurants, books, or events.

We'll take things slow until graduation on April 29th, after which I'll be making new travel plans (which will involve a passport, I promise). Stay tuned!
________________________________________________________________

Food: Fork Restaurant, Philadelphia and Morimoto Restaurant, Philadelphia
On Saturday, I'll be visiting the Philadelphia International Flower Show in center city. Afterwards my parents, my sister and I plan to dine at Fork, where our family friend Terence Feury is the Chef. I'll also have the chance to try Morimoto, one of the twenty Stephen Starr restaurants in Philadelphia, before heading to the Art Museum for some colorful post-Impressionism. 

Event: The Van Gogh Exhibit, Philadelphia Museum of Art
Van Gogh's vibrant sunflowers and evocative paintings of the countryside in Provence always bring me back to those five months in Aix. I had the chance to visit Saint-Rémy for a long lunch chez Lolo, just across the street from the hospital where Vincent painted Starry Night. The collection is on tour in Philadelphia through May 6, 2012.

Book: Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls

Film: The Counterfeiters
A very good movie about a Jewish counterfeiter named Solomon, or Sally, who is forced to produce counterfeit money to fund the Nazi war effort. He chooses his team from among the concentration camp inmates, saving them all from the physical labor and humiliation to which the other prisoners are subjected, but introducing a new kind of moral dilemma: would they rather die than continue to work with the knowledge that their project is prolonging the war? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS