Sacré Bleu!







The other day, my French friend Joanna asked me why we say Oh My Gosh, and I explained that it is a way to alter "Oh My God" to avoid being rude/taking the lords name in vain. She said that's also why french people say "Sacré bleu!" They exchanged "Sacré Dieu" to be more respectful. Not that any French person would actually say sacré bleu - it's more of a cartoony-caricature-of-a-French-person thing to say. Every time I hang out with French friends, I'm amazed by how much we have in common. For example, Joanna watches the show Gossip Girl to practice her English. She can recite the entire introduction! 

Normalement when we hang out with our French friends, we (the Americans) speak French, and they occasionally try their English. Its funny being envied because I speak English - it's very important for a lot of jobs around here to be able to speak English, so they like to practice. The funniest thing I've noticed is that in French, all verbs include the word "to", like manger (to eat) or danser (to dance) - so when speaking English, they sometimes think they don't have to say it. As in "I'm going dance," or "I want eat now." 
Another quick update - I chose to volunteer at a Day Care center called the English Bubble on Wednesday mornings. I will be working with French kids ages 3-10 to teach them English by doing crafts, bilingual theater, etc. It should be fun and good work experience! I do love the "dots" as the english women call them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS