one girl, two suitcases, four months (or, how to pack for a semester abroad)

Once again this unshakeable sense of anticipation (eleven days!) has driven me to my laptop with the hope that blogging will allow me to release some of my enthusiasm and energy. The subject today, evidently, is packing. My normal packing-for-Pitt ritual begins with an enormous pile on my bedroom floor as I attempt to locate everything I think I’ll need. Then, there is a frenzied effort to shove as much of that pile as possible into duffle bags, backpacks, and boxes; when every standard form of luggage is at full capacity, I’ll stuff empty shopping bags and, finally, toss those last few things on top. Once finished, the trunk, back seat, and passenger seat of my car are crammed to overflowing.

When it comes to packing for a study abroad trip, I’m faced with the task of fitting everything I’ll need for three and a half months into two suitcases and one carry-on. Time to pare it down to the absolute essentials. Armed with a minimalist attitude, I compiled the following list. Thoughts and advice are welcome!

ELECTRONICS:
Adapters
Laptop + charger
Camera + charger + USB cord
iPod + USB cord
DVDs (My homesickness cure is one of my favorite movies, so I usually pack a few.)

MEDICAL SUPPLIES
Ibuprofen
Vitamin C pills or Airborne
Band Aids
Any medicines you need (bring the prescription with you for airport security!)

SCHOOL – Only bring school supplies if you feel like it. In France, all notebook paper is graph paper, not simple lined paper like in the USA. I brought two notebooks with me for the semester and was glad to have them. Not sure what the case will be in the UK. Items to consider: pens and pencils, stationary, notebooks.

TOILETRIES
Make-up
Deodorant
Perfume
Face wash
Shampoo + conditioner
Hairbrush, hair ties, bobby pins
Toothbrush + toothpaste
Floss
Razor
Nail Polish (just one or two!)
Tweezers
Towel (Optional: A towel is not provided with housing, but would be easy to buy in London.)
Sunscreen
Feminine products

CLOTHES & ACCESSORIES
Underwear
Pajamas
Socks
Shoes (One pair each of boots, flats, rain boots, sneakers, heels – flip flops for hostel showers come in handy!)
Sweaters (In Britain, I’m told, layering is key.)
Tops
Pants (Leggings, tights, jeans, work pants)
Skirts
Dresses
Outerwear (Windbreaker, rain coat, winter coat)
Gloves + hats
Purses
Scarves
Jewelry
Belts
Sunglasses
Reading glasses
Watch

TRAVEL NECESSITIES
Passport and official documents (plus photocopies)
Flight itinerary
ISIC
Driver’s license
Guidebooks
Earplugs, eye mask, neck pillow for traveling
Umbrella
Wallet
Ziploc baggies

APARTMENT
Reusable shopping bag for groceries
Bottle opener (It’s small anyways, and I love to bring one when I go for picnics :)
Room decorations (for example, sticky tack and photos)

OTHER IDEAS:
Bring a cool keychain for the key to my new flat!
In France, the very notion that coffee could be taken “to go” is simply ignored. I couldn’t find a travel mug in any supermarket, and I cherish my coffee throughout the day. This time, I’ll bring my own!
I usually put an extra change of clothes in my carry-on, just in case (heaven forbid) my suitcase were to become lost. I also keep a laminated copy of my passport with me. Last, I throw something distinctive on my luggage, such as a pretty ribbon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS