Working Vacation

This has been an extraordinarily busy summer. Compared to last summer, which was packed with the usual trips to the beach and the standard summer job, this summer has been double the workload. But not necessarily half the fun!

In addition to acing two summer classes at West Chester University (social psychology and psychopathology) I worked multiple summer jobs to save money for London. In between these commitments, and occasionally during, I’ve had some great times.

I’ve had plenty of opportunities to go into Philadelphia. On father’s day, I saw the Marc Chagall exhibit at the Art Museum, and more recently, Rembrandt and the Face of Jesus. At the Ritz East Theater, I saw Incendies, a foreign film in my second language – French.

In May, I attended the Radnor Hunt horse races for the first time; this year’s theme was the Great American Novel. I donned rain boots to wade into the stream at the Great Valley Nature Center, looking for bugs with my six-year-old neighbor. I spent several weekends in Ventnor, where I ran the Fireman’s 5K, learned how to crack open lobsters, and biked the boardwalk to Atlantic City.

I have also stretched my gourmet muscles quite a few times. I tasted my first chicken wings at Adobe CafĂ© in south Philly (crispy, spicy, and sweet). I also tried a ‘Lhasa Apso’ chicken sandwich and a ‘Whippett’ turkey burger at Doghouse Gourmet Burgers in Downingtown – and enjoyed both so much that I hardly came up for air between (gigantic) bites. I found a new obsession at Starbucks: the soy latte with toffee nut syrup.

Overall, I’m glad that I can look back and honestly say that I enjoyed myself. I worked hard and played hard… and I think I’ve earned a few adventures :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS