Working Girl

Ok, so I know that my recent blog posts may have you believing that all I do is frolic in the park, shop, and travel. In reality, I am taking eighteen credits and working twenty hours a week as an intern at a non-profit. The UK Border Agency is very strict about class and work attendance, so you can be sure that I do not skip work or class… ever.

In this blog post, I’ll give you some insight into my schizophrenic existence here. You’ll see the other side of the carefree weekends: the working weeks.

My course schedule includes British 20th Century Fiction, European Government and Politics, International Economics, Child Development in a UK context, and Learning Through Internships. Obviously I have to be very conscientious about my scheduling and assignments. But I like it! [See my confession of nerdiness.] Sometimes I may report field trips – to the Imperial War Museum or the Museum of Childhood, for instance.

I also mentioned that I am working twenty hours per week as an intern at the European-Atlantic Group. The E-AG is a registered charity, founded in 1954, whose aim is to provide a forum for debate and analysis on topics in international relations, and to advocate solutions to global problems.

On Monday, it was my privilege to attend a dinner-debate hosted by the E-AG at the Caledonian Club in Belgravia. The speaker that evening was Omar Turbi, who has served as an advisor to the National Transitional Council in Libya in recent months.

Dylan and Amanda: E-AG interns

My fellow interns and I enjoyed a lovely meal: salmon with fingerling potatoes and French beans for the main course and raspberry frangipane tart with fresh cream for dessert (a welcome change from Sainsbury supermarket sandwiches and cheap pasties from vendors in Waterloo Station).
____________________________________

I'm off to Buckingham Palace to tour the state rooms, but there's plenty on the agenda for this weekend:
Friday: Much Ado About Nothing at the Globe Theater
Saturday: Possible day trip to either Cambridge or Oxford
Sunday: London Fashion Weekend event
Just a few blog posts that I'm looking forward to writing. Work hard, play harder! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS