Bungee Jumping in Baños

This is a flashback to the exhilaration of jumping off of a wooden bridge in Ecuador.

Resting in Quito with my Dad - the altitude is no joke! 

When I was just sixteen (which was only six years ago but it feels like a lifetime) I traveled to Ecuador with my Dad. Ecuador is an unexpected destination for an American teenager from the suburbs of Philadelphia, but I had an excellent reason to make the trip.

In our junior year of high school my close friend Nicole went to Ecuador for a full year youth exchange through Rotary International. She lived with a host family in the capital city of Quito, attending secondary school nearby and learning Spanish. I saved money from my after school job until I had enough to visit her in January of 2007. My Dad took a week off of work to chaperone (he's an attorney with a blog about employment law).

Just a couple of American BFFs reunited in Baños de Agua Santa 

One day, we decided to make a day trip to Baños in the very center of Ecuador. The landscape was beautiful - I think that we were in the Amazon river basin. Being an adventurous young lady, I literally jumped at the chance to bungee off of a wooden bridge over the Pastaza river. Nicole also took the plunge and then we climbed back into our rainbow painted van to head to the nearby Pailón del Diablo: the Devil's Cauldron waterfall. 


With Nicole and her house mother, Eliana - we look so young!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS