Off to the Races

The 82nd annual Radnor Hunt Horse Races, that is. A reason to masquerade as a prep, stroll around the well-manicured club hunting grounds, and drink all afternoon with many of Philadelphia society's best.


At Radnor Hunt, the yearly theme is a challenge to patrons. Awards are given for the most creative tailgates and outrageous hats. Last year the theme was "The Great American Novel," and this year: "Islands Big and Small." I found Treasure Island, Hawaii, Great Britain, and the Galapagos, and the winner was Fantasy Island (I have family members who serve on the panel of judges and they were completely charmed by it). 

I watched the first steeplechase race from my preferred perch on the swing on the hilltop by the clubhouse. They were off to a worrisome start with riders thrown at jumps and errant ponies trotting around the track; more than half of the jockeys were dismounted before the finish. I think we were all anxious to see more successful races later on! Here are some photos from Saturday afternoon:


In all my preppy glory with the obligatory hat, pearls, and Lily Pulitzer linen dress; with friends Misty and Marc and sister Amanda

Samples for the tailgate judges!

Ba-dum... ba-dum, ba-dum... 
["Two notes, and you've created a villain!" - Jack Black in the Holiday]

My beautiful neighbors, a couple of ladies getting their sugar fix!

Group photo of the tailgate winners - congratulations, folks! 

 The carriage parade


A candid shot of my race day crew ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS