A Personal Mission

Since graduating from Pitt last week I've moved back into my old room in my old house in my hometown. Before unpacking, I decided to go through all of the drawers and boxes and shelves to find room where it could be made or spared for the great mass of clothes, shoes, and books that I had acquired over time. 

In a printing paper box in the back of my closet I found schoolwork from freshman year, and laying on top was a handwritten page that began"I PROMISE." I looked more carefully and saw that this was an assigment from my freshman programs course; we were asked to write "a mission statement for your life."

What I read inspired me, reminded me of who I was when I began that journey, and surprised me because it holds absolutely true today. So I'll share it in the hopes that my life mission statement will remind you of your own. 
"I PROMISE to live independently, creatively, and youthfully. To be open to change, to be inspired often, to value integrity, loyalty, ambition, kindness, and fairness. I promise to learn constantly and forgive often. I promise to do what I want fearlessly, and to live in a way that will surround me with good karma. I promise to have hope. I promise to love passionately. I promise to cherish those I love and to embrace life fully. In difficult situations, I promise to be strong, brave, and resilient. I promise to never stop trying." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS